Wednesday, August 25, 2010

35.5 week checkup...LORD give me strength

Today was the start of my weekly appointments at the midwives. I was a little nervous going in because I had not been eating the healthiest since my last checkup with pizza on two weekends and a ginormous amount of movie theatre popcorn, and not taking the time to go to the gym. I even cheated on my sugar intake at my baby shower and had (gasp) a cupcake and punch! However, I was surprised with my weight actually going down half a pound since two weeks ago. The midwife didn't seem too concerned about the lack of weight gain, so I guess I shouldn't be either. The lack of sugar in my diet probably plays a role in not gaining much weight. I just want to make sure that baby is gaining the right amount of fat, since all baby should be doing now is getting pleasantly plump. This morning I was confident that I would not be spilling as much sugar since I had completely unsweetened cheerios for breakfast; I was gravely mistaken. My sugar is still above 1000, which is really high, which is REALLY frustrating. The midwife said that it is really bizarre, but that as long as baby is measuring in the normal range and my weight gain isn't becoming a problem, we won't worry about it unitl after baby is born to make sure my kidneys get back on track, or I might have other health issues to worry about. I also was checked today to see if I have bacteria in the birth canal, so I'll find out at my next appointment if I need to be on antibiotics once I start labor. The midwife said that 50% of women have the bacteria, so it's not a huge deal, just a nuisance to have to take some more meds on top of being in labor. Also now I can be checked to see if baby is starting to make any progress into the world. No dilation so far, but I am 50% effaced and baby's head it right where it should be. We'll see how we progress each week now!
With four weeks to go, I am praying God gives me patience and strength for labor, and also in the meantime as I am getting more and more uncomfortable and it is harder to do normal tasks, like get off the couch. All that really matters though is that baby and I are healthy!

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there Joelle! You are doing great! Not too much longer at all. Please let me know how I can pray for you if you need something specific. Stay Cool! Kerrin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will make it...just take it easy and enjoy your quiet now....all too soon, you will be totally exhausted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been doing so good with eating! I'm proud of you! I will continue to pray : )
    Thanks for going shopping. I can't wait to buy you blue or pink clothes when baby boy or girl arrives! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there. The last month can seem like the longest, but in the end you'll get the best prize in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to be such a great Mom Joelle- working to hard already to take care of Baby the best you can! Good job! Don't worry to much about dilation or effacement- it can change really fast in little time. Your midwife is right about the group B step thing. It's not a big deal at all. It is a little annoying. But usually you don't have to have the IV in between doses unless you are getting other medication. I tested positive. The worst part was that I had to be at the hospital four hours before giving birth. But God worked things out well. BTW in case I forget to tell you this later, once you're full term ask your midwife about evening primrose oil to help with cervix softening. I think it helped- but it is hard to know if there was a causal or coincidental relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. It's great to know I have such a great support system, even though you are far away. :) And it's awesome to have so many recent moms know exactly what to say to make me feel better!

    ReplyDelete