"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:9-11
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Beautiful Children...God's Children
Since I have been sick the past few days, I have not had much energy to do much besides sleep and sit. While I was sitting yesterday in front of the TV, I happened upon a show on TLC called "Toddlers and Tiaras". Yikes. It made me hope very much that I would not have a little girl if those are the sort of pressures that raising a little girl entails. What if her classmates compete in stuff like that and criticize her for not being pretty enough? Teaching a child to compete to be the prettiest from the time they can walk is almost sickening to me. Now, granted, the thought has crossed my mind, "What if I have an ugly child?" Then I always feel bad. Of course, I would love it if my child is moderately adorable, but I don't understand why parents push their children to look "the best", which is usually fake in those beauty pageants. Watching a bit of that show motivated me to begin praying now that our little child, boy or girl, would grow to believe that they are beautiful because they are a child of God, and saved by Jesus. No other beauty matters than the beauty of redemption and adoption in Christ. I pray that I can teach that truth to them very early on to spare them the heartaches of trying to live up to the world's standards of beauty.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment